Ask an Immigration Lawyer: My novio was deported, but I really need him

Read the series / Lea la serie

I am an American citizen. I have been living for the last three years with my boyfriend, a Salvadorean. He came here illegally and was deported in 1993. Three years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. I receive a check from Social Security and I am losing my condo. Is there a way for him to obtain legal status after we get married? I really need him. He takes care of me.

Aggie R. Hoffman

Your question and case are most compelling and at the same time raise complex issues. Although the process is long and difficult, resolution may be possible.  Your query, however, is  missing  important information. Below are the laws your novio will likely face.

If you marry, you will have to establish that your marriage is bona fide–that it is not solely for immigration purposes.  You do so by filing a visa petition with the Citizenship  &  Immigration Services (CIS).

This is the first step to  legalize his status.  In support of   the petition, you must submit evidence of documents and activities that married people share, such as joint lease or property ownership;  joint insurance (auto, health, life); joint bank accounts and bills, as well as photos of the wedding, holidays, with  family and friends. The fact that you have lived together for three years is also significant.

The second step is filing the application to adjust status.  However, it appears that your novio entered the U.S. without inspection (illegally).  As a result, he is not eligible to finish his immigration in the U.S.

This is true even if he marries you, a U.S. citizen; this has  been the law since the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of  1996 (IIRAIRA).

As a consequence, he will not be eligible to receive employment authorization while his immigration process is pending. He will have legal status only at the end of the case, after he is issued his immigrant visa at the U.S. Consulate in his home country.

The obstacles facing your noivo are the various penalties imposed for immigration violations. The first one is unlawful presence of more than one year.  This makes him inadmissible and ineligible for residence for 10 years.  However, he would be eligible for likely qualify for a waiver based on your extreme hardship.

You also say that he was deported, but many people use that term incorrectly,  for example, when one is stopped and returned at the border. On the other hand, if he was in immigration court before a judge, you may be  correct and he was really deported.  If so, it is also important to know why he was deported.  Did he commit a crime?  If so, what crime? If the crime was not a felony, not a crime of violence,  not a crime of moral turpitude, he -again- may be eligible for a waiver based on extreme hardship to you.

If your novio has indeed been deported, he is subject to reinstatement of deportation.  This means that if he is found, he can be deported again without a hearing before a judge.  You must also be aware that unlawful entry after deportation is a felony.  Such a violator may be arrested and prosecuted in federal court and sentenced to prison.   However, in reality, the government does not take this action against every such violator.

If your novio does not have a serious criminal record, his removal from the U.S. based on reinstatement of his deportation may be suspended through discretionary deferred action of the CIS.  This means that no action would be taken against him while his immigration is being processed. In the end, he would have legal status through your marriage and his immigration violations forgiven due to extreme hardship to you.


CAVEAT: The above is not a complete legal analysis, does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be construed as such. For a case specific analysis, consult an experienced immigration attorney for a private and extensive review of the facts of your case.


  • Aggie R. Hoffman

    Aggie R. Hoffman is a Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, licensed by the State Bar of California and certified by the Bd.. of Legal Specialization. Ms. Hoffman has over 25 years of experience in a variety aspects of immigration law, from employment based (investors and PERM) to family immigration. Her victories include cases in Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, focusing on reopening proceedings based on ineffective counsel. For more information, see .

    View all posts

One Comment

  1. hola mi pregunta es cmo y que debo aser para volver a los estados unidos sin meter en problema nadie de mi familiares yo me fui en 2000 con la visa waver i-94 en noviembre 24 2000 me fui a miami floridaa con mis mama y mi hermanas y mi hermano y me quede 11 anos y medios alla ilegalmente yo tuve un nene dentro de lo estados unidos que nacio en west palm beach florida y bueno el anos pasado en marzo 20.2011 me fui a mexico tuve 4 meses hay y de hay cmo sabia que no podia volver a lo estados unidos volvi a mi pais argentina mendoza y aca ase 1 anos y 2 mese que estoy y quiero regresar a los estados unidos con mi nene estas toda mi familia alla.ilegamente y quiero volver mi nene es americano tiene 5 anos que debo aser o ke visa tengo que solicitar,!porfavor necesito que me ayudeee !!

Comment here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button